Recently, my hubby mentioned he had never had asparagus before and really wanted to try it. I kept that in mind, and one day while doing my weekly grocery shopping, I spotted a great price on asparagus. I thought this was the perfect time to pick some up and make it for him. I wasn't exactly sure when or how I was going to serve it, I'm a bit too spontaneous for such detailed plans. haha.
Well, a couple days went by and I kept seeing that asparagus sitting in the fridge. "What should I make with this?", I kept asking myself. I sort of browsed through the fridge and also spotted some bacon I had bought with thoughts of bacon and eggs some morning. Bacon and eggs can wait, let's do bacon wrapped asparagus! It was decided. Later that day, I started the prep!
I had never made it before but I remember reading a few recipes, so I just dove right in! It was really easy. So, did the hubby like it? Keep reading to find out!
Here is what you will need;
2 lbs Asparagus
12 slices bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tsp garlic salt
1/2 freshly ground pepper
Now, there are a few variations on this creation. You can either wrap each piece of asparagus separately, or you can bundle about 3 or 4 pieces together. It is totally up to you. I chose to wrap a piece of bacon around one piece of asparagus. I think it falls under more of an appetizer item this way, which is what I wanted. Also, if you want your bacon to be really well done, without the asparagus being over done, you can semi-cook the bacon in the microwave before wrapping it around the raw asparagus. If you chose to semi-cook the bacon, put it on a microwave safe plate with a paper towel placed on top to prevent splatter. Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes. Remove bacon, and continue steps below.
Here is what you do;
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim ends off of each piece of asparagus.
- Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each piece of asparagus (or bundle if you prefer); secure bacon with a toothpick to keep in place.
- Place each bacon wrapped asparagus in a shallow baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, soy sauce and garlic salt. Heat mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over all the pieces of bacon wrapped asparagus.
- Place baking pan in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Plate and enjoy!
So, did hubby love it? Yes, he did! :)
I hope you will too!